Sunday, April 18, 2021

15mm Greenhouse

A classic piece in wargames tables is the greenhouse. I'm not sure how many homesteads had a little greenhouse in their backyards during the 40s but, according to wargamers, there where many. At first I thought it would be easy to scratch build it with wood, but that proved to difficult for me so I decided to design a 3D one.


Sadly, there was a little problem while printing the piece and one of the corners came out all melted. Nevertheless, the printing was not lost, as it was workable. What I did was superglue some plastic pieces covering most of the hole.

I then cut the pieces to roughly the same lenght as the rest of the walls. It's not shown here but I also spread some off brand "no more nails" to give it some thickens and texture.

The next step was deciding on a base. I knew that I wanted a little road leading to the greenhouse, so i had to keep that in mind. I put a piece of scatter terrain to try and cover the melted wall. With everything in place I traced the footprint of the greenhouse and the road. I then glued some wood pieces that will be my tables and on top I glued little pieces of plastic tubes to be my pots.

Now it was time for the floor. I cut 5mm x 5mm pieces of cardboard that will be the tiles of the greenhouse floor and road. I then glued some sand for the ground surrounding the greenhouse.

 
 
Now it was ready for priming. I used my trusty black for the ground but decided to use white for the greenhouse itself since I wanted it to be a light colour.
 

After that it was just a matter of painting using my regular colours. Burnt umber for the ground, highlighted with sand, different tones of grey for the tiles, browns for the tables, etc. A little trick was to glue some moss to the melted corner to simulate some kind of climbing plant and cover even more the imperfections.




I'm quite happy with this greenhouse. I also have designed and printed a half greenhouse, designed to be lean against a house, but I have not started work on it yet.

The 3D model itself works, but could be improved. The bricks around the door are not great, and I might add some divisions between bricks in the top of the wall, I'm not sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment